Corporate governance broadly refers to the system of rules, processes, and relations by which business entities, such as corporations and limited liability companies, are controlled and directed. Corporate governance trends and best practices have evolved rapidly since the Sarbanes-Oxley Act of 2002 and the Dodd-Frank Wall Street Reform and Consumer Protection Act enacted in 2010 and influence all types of businesses, whether large or small.
Our corporate law attorneys have broad experience advising and assisting clients ranging from startup companies to mature and established businesses on business law, compliance, and governance matters ranging from duties and potential liabilities of members of the board of directors, formation of new entities and subsidiaries, business contracts and transactions, and compliance with business entity law and formalities, including filings with the Hawaii State Department of Commerce and Consumer Affairs. Our clients come from a wide variety of industries including banking, insurance, retail, technology, fashion, entertainment, food and beverage wholesale and retail, real estate development, healthcare, telecommunications, and energy. As with everything we do, we focus on delivering timely, practical, and efficient legal solutions and advice that meet business and long-term objectives.
- Business and Commercial Contracts and Licensing Agreements
- Business Entity Selection, Formation, and Exit Strategies
- Board and Board Committee Structure, Composition, and Operations
- Conflict of Interest and Independence Issues
- Compliance with Laws and Regulations Applicable to Business Operations and Organizations
- Governance Documents, such as Articles of Incorporation or Organization, Limited Liability or Operating Agreements, Bylaws, Board of Director Meeting Minutes and Resolutions, and Board Committee Charters
- Fiduciary Duties and Role of Independent Directors and Board Chair
- Independent or Special Counsel to Boards of Directors or Board Committees
- Internal Investigations
- Mergers, Acquisitions, and Reorganizations
- Performance of or Assistance with General Counsel and Corporate Secretary functions As Needed
- Purchase and Sale Agreements
- Shareholder, Partner, and Limited Liability Company Member Relations